Our Top 40 Johannesburg hotels are near many headquarters, offices and businesses as well as countless places of interest, Johannesburg attracts not only corporate local and international travellers but also leisure tourists who want to experience the buzz and lively streets of this cosmopolitan African city. The Johannesburg city has many outstanding hotels of an international 5-star standard.
Sandton modern, chic and exclusive shops, restaurants, bars and entertainment places in and around Sandton attract many travellers every year. Luxurious hotel accommodation in five-star deluxe hotels in Sandton such as the excellent Legacy Hotels & Resorts, namely the Michelangelo, Michelangelo Towers, Raphael Penthouse & Suites and the stylish DaVinci Hotel & Suites. All of these elegant hotels are on Nelson Mandela Square, which awaits visitors with its trendy restaurants and bars.
Travellers may also choose to stay at one of the international hotel branded hotels in Sandton, Johannesburg, such as the exquisite InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, the Hilton Sandton, the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton and the Holiday Inn Sandton.
For guests who do not wish to rely on an airport shuttle or private chauffeur transfer from the OR Tambo Johannesburg Airport, the Radisson Blu Gautrain Sandton offers the best Johannesburg accommodation option as it is the closest hotel to the Sandton Gautrain Station. The Gautrain in Johannesburg provides railway connections direct to the airport, which is 33 kilometres away from Sandton, Johannesburg.
Being the hub of many large businesses and corporations, Johannesburg is often the host city of international exhibitions, conventions and conferences at the Sandton Convention Centre. Apart from the Sandton Convention Centre, selected Johannesburg hotels to offer the most technologically advanced conference venues and facilities such as the five star Westcliff Hotel.
This highly acclaimed luxury hotel in Johannesburg offers many elegant boardrooms, conference venues as well as a conference centre. Accommodation every function ranging from gala banquets and weddings to conferences and business meetings, the Westcliff Hotel provides its clients with unforgettable and fruitful events.
The Birchwood Hotel & OR Tambo Conference Centre hosts 50 conference rooms and has become known for its expertise in providing outstanding service for formal meetings, large conferences and banquets as well as other social events. This Johannesburg conference hotel is capable of seating between 6 – 800 conference delegates.
The Sandton Convention Centre hosts many local and international conferences and exhibitions every year. Conference delegates who attend one of these conventions have the convenience of staying at a five star, luxurious hotel right at the Sandton Convention Centre, therefore not requiring any transfers from and to the hotel.
Johannesburg hotels which are located right at the Sandton Convention Centre in Johannesburg include the Michelangelo Hotel as well as the DaVinci Hotel & Suites both of which are member hotels of the Legacy Hotels & Resorts hotel group. Modern facilities, first class service, as well as comfortable accommodation, is offered at both elegant hotels in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Convention Centre hotels:
- Garden Court Sandton City
- Sandton Sun Hotel
- InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers
- Michelangelo Towers
- Michelangelo Hotel
- DaVinci Hotel & Suites
- Raphael Penthouse Suites.
Spa Hotels in Johannesburg
Travellers who wish to enjoy a relaxing and rejuvenating health and beauty spa treatment in the bustling metropole of Johannesburg have the choice of many wellness centres in the many Johannesburg spa hotels.
The luxurious Saxon Boutique Hotel & Spa in Sandhurst features the Saxon Spa & Studio, which spoils guests with an unforgettable wellness experience. Guests may choose from the menu of various spa treatments and round off their relaxing wellness journey with a visit to the nail bar and hair salon.
The exclusive Balinese Spa Villa at the five star Fairlawns Boutique Hotel & Spa in Sandton has been designed for couples to enjoy in total privacy offering a broad range of relaxing spa treatments.
Theme Park Hotels in Johannesburg
The famous Gold Reef City Theme Park Hotel as well as the Southern Sun Gold Reef City both of which are located directly at the large amusement park Golf Reef City. More than thirty adrenaline-boosting rides await visitors at this theme park, while many different restaurants, shows, gaming and movies offer endless entertainment for young and old.
Radisson Blu Hotels Johannesburg
The bustling city of Johannesburg is home to two luxurious, five star Radisson Blu Hotels which offer couples, families, as well as business travellers exclusive accommodation in the central and upmarket location of Sandton.
As a convenience, the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel Sandton is the closest hotel to the Gautrain Station in Sandton. The Gautrain train in Johannesburg offers fast speed railway connections to the OR Tambo Johannesburg International Airport, which is 30 kilometres away, Pretoria, and the other many tourist attractions of the Johannesburg city centre.
Radisson Blu Hotels in Johannesburg:
- Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton
- Radisson Blu Gautrain Sandton.
Legacy Hotels & Resorts
The well known Legacy Hotels & Resorts group in South Africa features a collection of luxury and exclusive hotels, resorts, lodges, golf, executive suites and residential estates throughout South Africa including Nigeria and Ghana. Legacy's focus is to become Africa's leading lifestyle brand which is committed to enriching the lives and dreams of all. This famous hotel group in South Africa offers business and leisure travellers several hotel accommodation options in Johannesburg.
The group's five-star flagship property, namely The Michelangelo Hotel, is centrally located on the Nelson Mandela Square in Sandton and is a member hotel of "The Leading Hotels in the World". With its large conference venues, the Airport Grand Hotel in Eastland, Johannesburg, offers travellers a convenient hotel overnight option in proximity to the OR Tambo Johannesburg International Airport.
- Michelangelo Hotel, Sandton
- Michelangelo Towers, Sandton
- Raphael Penthouse Suites, Sandton
- DaVinci Hotel & Suites, Sandton
- Sunnyside Park Hotel, Johannesburg city centre
- Centurion Lake Hotel, Pretoria
- Airport Grand Hotel & Conference Centre, Boksburg, Eastland.
Tsogo Sun & Southern Sun Hotels in Johannesburg
The Tsogo Sun Hotel group of South Africa, which used to be called Southern Sun, operates many famous and well-known hotels in Johannesburg.
Tsogo Sun Hotels in Johannesburg:
- The Palazzo Montecasino (Fourways Hotel)
- SunSquare Montecasino (Fourways Hotel)
- Southern Sun Montecasino (Fourways Hotel)
- InterContinental Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport
- Southern Sun O.R. Tambo International Airport (Johannesburg Airport Hotel)
- Garden Court O.R. Tambo International Airport (Johannesburg Airport Hotel)
- 54 on Bath (Rosebank Hotel)
- Sandton Sun (Sandton Hotel)
- InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers (Sandton Hotel)
- Southern Sun Katherine Street Sandton (Sandton Hotel)
- Southern Sun Hyde Park Sandton (Sandton Hotel)
- Garden Court Sandton City (Sandton Hotel)
- Garden Court Sandton (Sandton Hotel)
- Garden Court Morningside (Sandton Hotel)
- Southern Sun Gold Reef City
- Gold Reef City Theme Park Hotel
- Garden Court Milpark
- Garden Court Eastgate
- StayEasy Eastgate.
Protea Hotels in Johannesburg, Gauteng
Protea Hotels is Africa's most prominent hotel group with hotels operating in South Africa, Namibia, Kenya, Malawi, Nigeria, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia. Six Protea Hotels have located in Johannesburg and its surrounding areas as well as the five star African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel in Melrose. Protea Hotels of South Africa consists of a full and diverse range of exceptional hotels and resorts which provide superior accommodation, personalised service and individuality of character in each of its properties.
- Protea Hotel Balalaika, Sandton
- Protea Hotel Fire&Ice! Melrose Arch, Melrose
- Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport, Kempton Park
- Protea Hotel Parktonian, Braamfontein
- Protea Hotel Roodepoort, West Rand
- Protea Hotel Wanderers, Sandton.
African Pride Hotel in Johannesburg, South Africa
African Pride Hotels in South Africa is an exclusive African collection of luxurious hotels, lodges and country houses, which offer travellers highest international standards in service, facilities and hotel accommodation.
African Pride Hotel in Johannesburg:
- African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, Melrose.
The City Lodge Family of Hotels in Johannesburg, Gauteng
The famous City Lodge Hotel Group in South Africa offers both leisure and corporate travellers convenient accommodation options in central location throughout South Africa. The City Lodge Family Hotels includes the City Lodge Hotels, the Courtyard Hotels, the Town Lodge Hotels as well as the Road Lodge Hotels.
Travellers have the choice of many City Lodge Hotels in Johannesburg, be it near the OR Tambo Johannesburg International Airport such as the City Lodge OR Tambo, near Sandton such as the City Lodge Katherine Street or in Fourways such as the City Lodge Fourways Hotels.
City Lodge Hotels in Johannesburg:
- City Lodge Bryanston Hotel
- City Lodge Fourways Hotel
- City Lodge Johannesburg Airport - Barbara Road Hotel
- City Lodge OR Tambo Airport Hotel
- City Lodge Morningside Hotel
- City Lodge Katherine Street Hotel, Sandton.
Courtyard Hotels in Johannesburg:
- Courtyard Eastgate Hotel
- Courtyard Rosebank Hotel
- Courtyard Sandton Hotel.
Town Lodge Hotels in Johannesburg:
- Town Lodge Johannesburg Airport Hotel
- Town Lodge Midrand Hotel
- Town Lodge Roodepoort Hotel Johannesburg
- Town Lodge Sandton Grayston Drive Hotel Johannesburg.
Road Lodge Hotels in Johannesburg:
- Road Lodge Centurion Hotel
- Road Lodge Germiston Lake Hotel
- Road Lodge Johannesburg Airport Hotel
- Road Lodge Isando Hotel Johannesburg
- Road Lodge Randburg Hotel
- Road Lodge Rivonia Hotel Johannesburg
- Road Lodge Southgate Hotel Johannesburg.
The city of Johannesburg in South Africa is home to many places of interest for families, tourists as well as historically and interested cultural travellers.
Top attractions in Johannesburg:
- Johannesburg Zoo
- Flea Markets: Rooftop Market, Mai Mai, Bryanston Organic & Natural Market, Market Theatre Flea Market and Bruma Flea Market
- Johannesburg Art Gallery
- Carlton Centre Observation Deck
- Constitution Hill
- Museum Africa
- The Market Theatre
- Nelson Mandela National Museum
- Hector Pieterson Memorial and Museum
- Apartheid Museum.
Major Events in Johannesburg, South Africa
The city of Johannesburg, Gauteng, is home to many annual events which attract visitors from all over South Africa.
- SA Music Week (August)
- Standard Bank Joy of Jazz (August)
- Dance Umbrella
- Taste of Joburg
- Soweto Wine Festival (September)
- Soweto Marathon (November)
- Arts Alive Festival (September)
- Rand Show Easter Festival
- November Good Food and Wine Show
- Newtown Diwali Festival (October)
- Joburg Pride - Gay Pride (March)
- Jozi Film Festival (February)
- Encounters Film Festival (June)
- Out in Africa Gay & Lesbian Film Festival
- Whisky Live Festival (November).
- Golf courses in Johannesburg
The city of Johannesburg, South Africa, is home to many golf courses each of which varies in its layout and challenging level. Some of these golf courses host prestigious golf tournaments annually.