FRIDAY FOOD FEATURE: Lamb Rack and Scallop Salad
FRIDAY FOOD FEATURE:
The Birkenhead House & Villa in Hermanus presents…
Set on the magnificent cliffs of Hermanus, overlooking the scenically beautiful Walker Bay of the Western Cape in South Africa, the luxurious Birkenhead House awaits discerning travellers to enjoy luxury and relaxation in a wonderful ocean setting.
Dining at the Birkenhead House, which is decorated with elements of the coastal beauty of its surroundings, is a grand affair of gourmet meals such as the herb crusted lamb rack with roast potatoes or a refreshing scallop salad with crisp parma ham.
HERB CRUSTED LAMB RACK WITH ROAST POTATOES
– 4 x 3 bone lamb racks
– 3 medium potatoes, washed and peeled.
– 1 tsp lemon zest
– 1 tsp garlic
– ¼ cup bread crumbs
– ¼ cup parsley, rosemary, thyme and mint leaves
– 2 tsp Slaley Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
1. Season and seal lamb racks on all sides and place to the side. Preheat the oven to 180 C.
2. Slice potatoes into wedges, season and roast until golden brown.
3. Place all the herb crust ingredients in a food processor and blend.
4. Rub the fat side of the lamb racks with a knob of butter and coat with the crust.
5. Bake until crispy and golden.
6. Serve with flash fried spinach and cherry tomatoes.
SCALLOP SALAD WITH CRISP PARMA HAM
– 16 queen scallops, shelled, washed and roe removed
– sea salt and milled black pepper
– 160 g Parma ham
– 1 red onion, thinly sliced
– 1 cucumber, cut into ribbons
– 1 bag mixed salad leaves
– 10 cherry tomatoes
– 3 mixed peppers
– Slaley Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
– 100 g gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
– 200 ml cream
– 1 tbsp Slaley Extra Virgin Olive Oil
– 2 limes, halved, grilled
Method (serves 4):
1. Sauté seasoned scallops in a hot wok with a little butter until coloured.
2. Lightly grill Parma ham.
3. Combine vegetables together, season and drizzle with olive oil and gorgonzola dressing.
4. Serve with grilled limes.
5. To make gorgonzola dressing, whisk cheese into cream and add olive oil.
We wish you a delicious dining experience and thank the Birkenhead House in Hermanus for their contribution.
South African Tourism Company
Tel: +27 (0)21 794 9050
Mobile: +27 (0)827 823 142
Fax: +27 (0)21 794 9995