FRIDAY FOOD FEATURES: Coconut and Pineapple cupcakes
FRIDAY FOOD FEATURES :
Coconut and Pineapple cupcakes
This delicious coconut and pineapple cupcake recipe from Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve will make a perfect end to your National Braai Day on the 24th September 2013. The luxurious Bushmans Kloof Luxury Retreat is an exclusive 5 star hotel situated in the Cederberg mountains North of Cape Town which has been declared a South African National Heritage site.
COCONUT AND PINEAPPLE CUPCAKES
Coconut and pineapple give these cupcakes a tropical flavor. Grated fresh coconut can be used instead of desiccated coconut for an even better flavor.
120g plain flour
140g castor sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
A pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter; at room temperature
120ml coconut milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
9 tinned pineapple rings; chopped into small pieces
Desiccated coconut; decorate
250 g icing sugar; sifted
80g unsalted butter; at room temperature
25ml coconut milk
( makes 12 cupcakes )
– Preheat oven to 170 C
– Line a 12 hole cupcake tray with paper cases
– Put the flour; sugar; baking powder ; salt & butter in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on a slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined
– Mix the coconut milk and vanilla extract in a separate bowl; then beat into the flour mixture on medium speed until well combined. Add the egg and well (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula)
– Divide the chopped pineapple between the paper cases
– Spoon the cupcake mixture on top until two thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25minutes; or until light golden and the sponge bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
For the coconut frosting:
– Beat the icing sugar and butter together in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk); on a medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
– Turn the mixer down to a slower speed and slowly pour in the coconut milk.
– Once all the milk has been incorporated; turn the mixer up to high speed.
– Continue beating until the frosting is very white, light & fluffy; 5 – 10 minutes.
When the cupcakes are cold; spoon the coconut on top and finish with a sprinkling of desiccated coconut. Enjoy this delicious treat!
South African Tourism Company
Tel: +27 (0)21 794 9050
Mobile: +27 (0)827 823 142
Fax: +27 (0)21 794 9995