FRIDAY FOOD FEATURE: Grootbos delight – Beetroot Tart Tatin
FRIDAY FOOD FEATURE:
Grootbos delight – Beetroot Tart Tatin with Thyme Strawberries and Goat’s Cheese Cream
Wining and dining at the Grootbos Private Nature Reserve near Hermanus, South Africa, is a special treat with the most delicious meals being served in the most breathtaking, unique and special setting ranging from the elegant dining room, to the rustic outdoor boma and the private deck.
Learn about how to make a mouth watering Beetroot Tart Tatin with the use of Thyme Strawberries and a combination of Goat’s Cheese Cream.
• 6 baby beetroot, cooked until tender
• 1 roll puff pastry, at room temperature
• drizzle of olive oil
• pinch of salt
• 6 strawberries, thinly sliced
• 2 tsp caster sugar
• fresh thyme
• 50g soft goat’s cheese (Chevin)
• 50ml fresh cream.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees C. Halve the beetroot and place them in a round, 23cm cake or tart tin, cut side facing you. Arrange in one even layer, allowing for a 3cm gap around the edge of the tin. Cut the puff pastry so it is the same size as your tin and lay it over the beetroot – tucking in the edges on the inside of the tin. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the pastry is risen and golden. Remove when done and allow to come to room temperature.
While the tart is baking, place the strawberries, sugar and thyme in a bowl. Gently toss and place in the fridge until needed.
To make the goat’s cheese cream place the goat’s cheese in a small bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until softened. Slowly add the fresh cream while beating until well combined.
To serve, spoon the goat’s cheese onto the centre of the tart and top with the marinated strawberries and extra fresh thyme, if desired.
Should you wish to explore the magnificent scenery surrounding Grootbos and enjoy the retreat’s most delicious cuisine, contact us for packages and specials!
South African Tourism Company
Tel: +27 (0)21 794 9050
Mobile: +27 (0)827 823 142
Fax: +27 (0)21 794 9995