FRIDAY FOOD FEATURE: Savoury Mince Recipe
FRIDAY FOOD FEATURE:
Savoury Mince Recipe
Jackie Cameron who spoils guests staying at the five star Hartford House Country Retreat in KwaZulu-Natal with delicious meals recommends serving a fried egg with freshly prepared mince. With the eggs being rich in protein it helps raise mood-boosting serotonin levels. Which in turn reduces nausea. Freshly-picked, blanched asparagus are a great addition to the fried egg and mince.
• 100g Salted Butter
• 50ml Sunflower Oil
• 300g Onions, finely chopped
• 20g Garlic, grated
• 150g celery, chopped
• 150g carrot, chopped
• 5 sprigs Thyme, chopped
• 5 Bay Leaves, fresh
• 300gr Tomatoes, chopped
• 225gr Tomato Paste, All Gold
• 1kg Topside Beef Mince
• 400g Butter beans, tinned
• 400g Red Kidney Beans, tinned
1. In a large pot, heat the oil and butter.
2. Add the garlic and onions, cooking it really well.
3. Then add the carrots, celery, thyme, bay leaves as well as the tomatoes, cooking till the tomatoes are nice and soft.
4. Add the tomato paste, which will make the consistency of the mixture thicker and cook until the bitter flavour is lost.
5. Add the mince.
6. Combine it all well, don’t overcook the mince.
7. Finish with the drained beans.
8. Season with salt and pepper and keep aside.
Enjoy Jackie’s mouth-watering dishes and combine an unforgettable dining experience with a stay at this luxurious country retreat in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
South African Tourism Company
Tel: +27 (0)21 794 9050
Mobile: +27 (0)827 823 142
Fax: +27 (0)21 794 9995