Saxon Hotel, Villas & Spa
- Hotel Type:
- City, Business, Spa, Conference, Penthouses & Presidential Suites
- Address: 36 Saxon Road
Located the wealthy town of Sandhurst, the Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa is one of the most elite, private retreats in the whole of Africa. Its inviting entrance area shows guests the luxuriant staircase and graceful chandelier. This Hotel is also home to many different bars so guest have the choice depending on their current mood. The hotel is also renowned for having been the residence where Nelson Mandela spent many an hour editing his autobiography, "Long Walk to Freedom".
Set in the heart of Johannesburg, on the striking tree-lined avenues of the Sandhurst suburb, the hotel sits on ten acres of brilliantly landscaped gardens which provide travelers with an elegant, luxurious yet unforgettable experience. The OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg is around a 40-minute drive away while the other airport, Lanseria can be reached within 35 minutes.
The exclusive hotel features the most spacious and luxuriously appointed hotel rooms and suites, where discerning guests find joy to relax in comfort, with privacy and exclusivity being ensured.
- Luxury Room
- Executive Luxury Room
- One Bedroom Suite
- Nelson Mandela Suite
- King size bed and a pillow menu
- Opulent robe and slippers, fresh white towels
- Lounge and dining room
- Business desk, complimentary WiFi
- iPod docking station
- Large separate bathroom with over sized bath and walk-in shower
- Views over the hotel gardens and city skyline, or the swimming pool terrace
Executive Luxury Room
- King bed
- Seating and dining area
- Business desk and complimentary WiFi
- International multi-plugs
- IPod docking station
- Separate bathroom with freestanding bath, dual sinks and walk-in stone-clad shower
- 24-hour butler service
- Size: 80sq m / 861sq ft
One Bedroom Suites
- King size four-poster
- Pillow menu
- Walk-in cupboards
- Separate bathroom (freestanding bath, walk-in shower, opulent robe and slippers)
- Fully equipped butler’s kitchen
- Dedicated butler service
- Views over the gardens and northern views of the Johannesburg city skyline
- Size: 200sq m / 2 152sq ft
Nelson Mandela Presidential Suite
- Entrance, reception area and guest suite
- Lounge and dining area, guest bathroom
- Seating area
- Business area (business desk, complimentary WiFi, international multi-plugs and iPod docking station)
- 40 inch Bang & Olufsen HD LCD screen television
- Blu-ray DVD player
- State-of-the-art surround-sound music system
- All radio stations, full gaming interface, digital music library
- King size bed and walk-in dressing room
- Pillow menu, robe and slippers, fresh white towels
- Separate bathroom: over sized Jacuzzi bath, a walk-in shower, private steam room
- Health and beauty spa
- Fitness center
- Outdoor swimming pool
- Pool terrace
- Restaurant and bar
- Oprah Lounge
- Cigar Lounge
- Piano Lounge
- Saxon Qunu Grill
- Impressive garden and koi pond
- Saxon Art Affair
Spa & Studio and Fitness Center
The exclusive Spa and Studio offers guests a tranquil retreat where one can choose relaxing spa therapy treatments from an exclusive menu of spa journeys, rejuvenating body therapies, specialized spa treatments, and skin care. A visit to the Hair and Nail Studio can also be enjoyed.
The well-equipped Fitness Center and supervised gymnasium features separate changing rooms, which are equipped with steam rooms and showers. For guests' convenience, bottled water, towels, as well as fresh fruit are available. A professional personal trainer is available upon request.
As one of the "Leading Hotels of the World" and "Leading Spa", the hotel is home to the inaugural Art Affair, which is a unique celebration of contemporary South African art. Representing a wonderful combination of different styles, genres, mediums and techniques, Johannesburg's Art Affair is intended to please the eye, stimulate the mind, while feeding the soul. This visual feast presents something for every art aficionado, ranging from conceptual to decorative, from high abstraction to illustrative realism.
What sets this art exhibition apart from traditional art presentations is that the art is displayed throughout the hotel and its gardens, making the art an integral part of the total experience.
Experiential dining at the 'five hundred Saxon' Restaurant
The most delicious and experiential dining of a unique gastronomic world can be experienced at the 'five hundred', which superbly celebrates the synergy between wine, food, and art. Individually presented to guests by the hotel's celebrated Chefs and Sommeliers, every course at this fine dining restaurant is paired with the finest wines.
Named after former President Nelson Mandela’s country home in the Eastern Cape of South Africa, the Qunu Grill offers guests the ultimate African grill experience. The innovative menu brings bold flavors to life, by using the finest cuts of meat, fish, hand-picked seasonal ingredients, as well as selected produce from local artisans.
Chef’s Table and Ruinart Experience
The private dining room features a unique, open plan Chef’s kitchen, as well as an impressive glass wine cellar. It is here where guests are treated to an unforgettable and interactive dining experience as they observe the chefs performing their culinary artistry.
The wine list for the 'five hundred' restaurant at this boutique hotel is the collection of the Sommeliers’ wealth of experience and the outstanding wine program whereby Chefs and Sommeliers interact with diners to pair favorable wines with the selected dishes. This excellent wine pairing selection includes well-known South African wines and classic vintages, while newly discovered gems are also available on the wine list, to surprise the palate.
High tea, being an elegant tradition at the hotel, awaits guests in the welcoming Piano Lounge, where perfectly infused tea, fresh coffee and decadent sweet and savoury delights are served.
Hotel Affiliations and Accolades
- Voted ‘World’s Leading Boutique Hotel’ since 2001 by World Travel Awards
- Listed amongst 'Top 100 City Hotels’ Africa and Middle East by Robb Report 2013
- Listed amongst ‘World’s Best Service Hotel’ Africa and Middle East by Travel and Leisure 2013
- Listed amongst ‘World's Best Hotel’ Africa and Middle East by Travel and Leisure 2012
- Member of 'The Leading Hotels of the World', 'Leading Spas of the World', 'Virtuoso', and 'Signature'
- 24 hour reception service
- 24 hour room service / in room dining
- Airport transfers
- Butler service
- Complimentary Wi-Fi connectivity in all rooms and public areas
- Concierge services
- Daily local and international newspapers
- Doctor on call
- Dry cleaning service
- Health & Fitness Centre
- Housekeeping service
- Internet connection
- Laundry services
- Luggage storage
- Luxury transfer service within a 20km/12 mile radius
- Massage treatments
- Tours & Transfers on Request
- Valet parking
- Voice mail
- Wake-up call
- Wellness & Beauty treatments
The elegant Luxury Rooms at the Saxon Boutique Hotel & Spa, Johannesburg, measure 75 square meters in size. Well appointed with tasteful African elegance, the Luxury Rooms exude an atmosphere of tranquility.
Exclusive linens, a lounge and dining area, a full business desk and latticed shutters opening to views over the indigenous gardens and city skyline, meet and exceed guests' expectations of the Saxon Boutique Hotel.
Luxury Room features:
- shutters covering large bay windows
- views of the tranquil gardens or swimming pool area
- each suite features large screen televisions
- VCR and DVD player with surround sound system
- workstations fitted with multi telephone, fax and ISDN lines.
Saxon's Executive Luxury Rooms provide guests with a quiet retreat with each room featuring a quiet seating and dining area.
A business desk, complimentary WiFi as well as international multi plugs and iPod docking station are also available. The king size beds are dressed with fine linen.
This room type at the five star Saxon Hotel in Johannesburg, South Africa, offers a private deck which leads out into the magnificent garden. For guests convenience, the Executive Luxury Rooms can be interconnected with an adjacent Executive Luxury Room.
Executive Luxury Room features:
- king bed
- seating and dining area
- business desk and complimentary WiFi
- international multi plugs
- iPod docking station
- separate bathroom with freestanding bath, dual sinks and walk-in stone clad shower
- 24-hour butler service
- size: 80sq m / 861sq ft.
The three One Bedroom Suites at the Saxon Boutique Hotel & Spa in Johannesburg are 120 square meters in size each. These spacious and exclusive suites feature a separate lounge and dining area.
One Bedroom Suite features:
- shutters covering big bay windows
- views in the tranquil gardens or the pool area
- large screen television
- VCR and DVD player with surround sound system
- workstations: multi telephone, fax and ISDN lines.
The Saxon Boutique Hotel & Spa in Johannesburg, South Africa, features the spectacular 2 bed roomed Nelson Mandela Suite measuring 420 square meters in size and is furnished to cater for the most discerning traveler with a fully furnished kitchen, separate lounge, dining room, jacuzzi, steam room with walk-in shower and closet.
Nelson Mandela Suite features:
- shutters covering the large bay windows
- views of the manicured gardens
- large screen televisions
- VCR and DVD player with surround sound system
- workstation fitted with multi telephone, fax and ISDN lines
- fully furnished kitchen
- separate lounge
- elegant dining room
- steam room with walk-in shower and closet.
Five Hundred is the signature restaurant at the Saxon Boutique Hotel. The restaurant overlooks the twinkling city skyline. Here the chefs interact with guests and an open chefs kitchen is a focal point for diners. This unique concept restaurant features dramatic decor which complements the contemporary cuisine. An intimate chef's table is available for private dining.
Qunu is the latest restaurant at the fabulous Saxon Boutique Hotel. The restaurant's name refers to the Eastern Cape village where Nelson Mandela was born. Qunu can be found in the renovated Saxon Restaurant and Terrace area. An all-day menu combines a combination of classic and modern techniques with the freshest ingredients available.
The Saxon Spa & Studio spoils guests with a soothing, holistic wellness experience. Visitors are welcome to choose from the menu of treatments and round off their relaxing spa journey with a visit to the hair salon and nail bar.Send an Enquiry
Activities / Sports and Leisure
The Saxon Spa & Studio spoils guests with a soothing, holistic wellness experience. Visitors are welcome to choose from the menu of treatments and round off their relaxing spa journey with a visit to the hair salon and nail bar.
The Saxon Spa Studio is a world-class resort spa. The signature treatment is Sound Therapy with gongs, a unique treatment with specialized therapists playing the gongs and signing bowls to create the sound, whilst floating on a water bed, which incorporates a color therapy unit, to enhance the treatment.
The Hydro Facilities which include an exterior heated pool with sensational showers, interior heated jet pool, cold plunge pool, flotation pool and steam room make for an unforgettable spa experience.
The spacious gym adjacent to the Koi Terrace is open 24 hours a day and is designed to please the most avid fitness fanatic. It features the very latest fitness equipment.
The cool, wide pool terrace with an impressive stocked Koi pond is an ideal spot for relaxing and taking in the spectacular sunset. A special touch of magic is lent to the picturesque setting by music radiating from under the water in the heated swimming pool.
The lattice shuttered suites, cool terraces and shaded gazebos adjoining both the heated lap pool and magnificent 920 square metre swimming pool, enhance the fully supervised gymnasium and steam rooms.
Conferences and Events
The five star Saxon Boutique Hotel & Spa in Johannesburg, South Africa, features exclusive meeting and conference facilities. The Auditorium seats 30 guests in a tiered arrangement for good sight lines while the Convention Lounge caters for larger meetings. Both these venues provide the latest in conference technology.
- Executive Boardroom
- Private Villa Boardroom
- Dining Library
- Conference venue A & B
- Convention Lounge
- Beauty salon
- Boardroom Facilities
- Business Centre
- Conference venue
- Day-use facilities for early arrivals and late departures
- Hair salon
- Nearby Casino
- Nearby golf course
- Private guest library/ lounge
- Sun deck
- Swimming Pool
- Undercover and surface parking
- Wellness centre
- Wine cellar
Saxon Hotel, Villas & Spa Specials & Packages
OR Tambo International Airport
Kempton Park, Johannesburg, South Africa
1. Head south 550 m
2. Take the 2nd right 350 m
3. Take the ramp to Albertina Sisulu Fwy/R24 220 m
4. Keep right at the fork to continue toward Albertina Sisulu Fwy/R24 and merge onto Albertina Sisulu Fwy/R24 8.3 km
5. Take the exit onto R24 1.7 km
6. Take the exit toward Eastern Bypass/N3 500 m
7. Keep right at the fork to continue toward Eastern Bypass/N3 and merge onto Eastern Bypass/N3 10.4 km
8. Take exit 124-Sandton to merge onto Marlboro Dr/M60 2.9 km
9. Turn right at South Rd/M74 3.6 km
10. Slight left at Rivonia Rd/M9 700 m
11. Turn right at Grayston Dr/M40 1.5 km
12. Turn right at Sandton Dr/M75 140 m
13. Take the 1st left onto Elizabeth Ave 240 m
14. Continue onto Cleveland Rd 750 m
15. Turn right at Coronation Rd 500 m
16. Turn left at Saxon Rd 180 m
Saxon Boutique Hotel & Spa
36 Saxon Road, Sandhurst, Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
- “Best Hotel in Africa ” - 2009 Conde Nast Traveler Reader's Choice Awards and “no 16 in the world”
- "World's Leading Boutique Hotel" since 2001
- Voted Top 10 Hotels in Africa and Middle East 2010, Travel & Leisure June 2010
- "Les Nouvelles Esthethiques – Day Spa of 2007"
- "Tatler UK – Best City Spa 2007" and 101 best Spas in the World, Tatler Spa Guide 2009
- Diners Club Diamond Award for Saxon Winelist 2009
- Member of "Leading Small Hotels of the World", "Leading Spa of the World"; "Virtuoso"