Quick Facts: Illovo Beach
- Illovo Beach is a seaside town situated on the South Coast of KwaZulu-Natal
- it is located on the banks of the Illovo River
- the name "iLovo" comes from the mlovo trees which grow on the river's banks
- Illovo Nursery and Tea Garden
- Umgeni Bird Park and CrocWorld
- watch the surfers and dolphins ride the crest of the waves
- browse the myriad of interesting curio / flea markets for souvenirs
- discover the prolific birdlife of the South Coast
- partake in whale watching excursions
- dive the enthralling Aliwal Shoal sites
- fish from the rocks or in the river
- play a round of golf at the fantastic courses in the area
Distance to Airport: 70 km
Distance to City: 37 km
Introducing Illovo Beach
Illovo Beach is a relatively small, seaside town located on the KwaZulu-Natal’s South Coast on the banks of the Illovo River. The Zulu's named this area "iLovo" because of the mlovo trees growing on its banks, visitors are welcome to experience its tranquility and charm. The picturesque and peaceful surrounds of Illovo Beach are perfect for lazy days and relaxation whilst being in the midst of the thrilling leisure activities.
Illovo is a popular escape from the hustle and bustle of the city life. There are many accomodation options to choose from and close by there is Amanzimtoti’s excellent shopping facilities and visitors can dine at the fine restaurants in the area or take the family down to the Umgeni Bird Park or Illovo Nursery Tea Garden. Alternativley spend the day watching the dolphins and surfers catching Durban's famous waves or shop until you drop at the wide variety of curio stores and flea markets in the surrounding area. Illovo Beach is ideal for nature lovers who can enjoy the prolific birdlife, enjoy magnificent whale watching excursions, dive with vast shoals of fish, try your luck at fishing in the sea or in the river or even play a round of golf at one of the amazing courses nearby.
The breathtaking natural beauty and soothing atmosphere is undoubtedly one of Illovo Beach's main attractions. With the calming atmosphere is it the perfect base to explore the riches of the KwaZulu-Natal South Coast. Illovo Beach is picture perfect, truly a dream location for an unforgettable vacation experience.