Quick Facts: Bedfordview
- The town of Bedfordview forms part of the greater Ekurhuleni Metropolitan
- Bedfordview is a quiet, affluent suburb set on a green belt
- This Johannesburg suburb is surrounded by the Bill Stewart Conservancy to the east and Gillooly's Farm and Linksfield Ridge to the north
- Bedfordview provides visitors with a balance of indoor and outdoor entertainment
- Eastgate Shopping Centre
- Gillooly's Farm
- Bedfordview was originally part of the Elandsfontein Farm until the mineral rights of the farm were sold
Distance to Airport: 15 km
Distance to City: 10 km
The town of Bedfordview falls into the greater Ekurhuleni Metropolitan. Bedfordview is a quiet, affluent suburb set on a green belt, surrounded by Bill Stewart Conservancy to the east and Gillooly's Farm and Linksfield Ridge to the north. Although large cluster living developments have begun to dominate much of the landscape, most suburbs remain treed and tranquil.
Bedfordview provides visitors with a balance of indoor and outdoor entertainment, with the huge Eastgate Shopping Centre and Gillooly's Farm an easy drive away.Bedfordview was originally part of the Elandsfontein Farm until the mineral rights of the farm were sold. The land was later subdivided and settled by retired miners, including the infamous Randlord, Sir George Herbert Farrar. Farrar named his farm Bedford – and remnants of this farm can still be found today at the St Andrews' School
Best Kept Secret
Harvey Nature Reserve and Linksfield Ridge
For panoramic views of Pretoria and the Magaliesberg hills, walk the 4 km Dassie Trail through Harvey Nature and the undulating quartzite koppies of Linksfield Ridge. Start at Gillooly's Farm and walk in groups of four or more adults. Phone 011-616-4841. www.footprint.co.za/Linksfield_ridge.htm.
To reach Bedfordview from the airport, follow the R24 to Johannesburg. At Gillooly's Interchange, follow the N12 left to Germiston. Take the M52 Van Buuren Road exit.
Bedfordview's suburbs are Bedford Gardens, Bedford Park, Essexwold, Lower Bedfordview, Morninghill, Oriel, Senderwood, St Andrews and Upper Bedfordview.