Rovos Rail Pretoria to Durban Journey Overview
Join this three-day luxurious Rovos Rail safari on the most exclusive train in the world and experience the splendour of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa. Encounter the untamed African wildlife including the 'Big Five' (lion, buffalo, leopard, rhino and elephant), participate in a battlefields tour with a world-class historian and get to know unusual African ceramics. On this Rovos Rail train journey from Pretoria (Gauteng) to Durban (KwaZulu-Natal), travellers have the opportunity to experience the diversity of the Nambiti Conservancy, a Big Five private bush retreat set on 20 000 acres of malaria-free bushveld in KwaZulu Natal. It has an incredible biodiversity including savannah, grasslands, thornveld and tall acacia trees. The Sundays River flows through the reserve and has two 40 metre waterfalls with magnificent ravine bush, home to several rare bird species.
Situated on an expansive game farm, Spionkop Lodge, which adjoins an 11 000 acre nature reserve, is the perfect base for exploring the berg, bush, birds and battlefields of the region. The turn of the century farmhouse has been beautifully restored in Natal colonial style, and the converted barn now forms a magnificent dining room that boasts spectacular views.
Ardmore Ceramic Art is a story about the Zulu people whose sense of rhythm, colour, dance and song, as well as the spirit of the African imagination, is exerting its influence on the other continents of the world. Word of Ardmore has spread far and wide, and those who believe they have the talent arrive at the Ardmore studios in the rolling hills of Caversham in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands. Many have little knowledge of sculpture and painting and mostly no experience of ceramic art. They learn quickly however and within a short time develop their particular style of sculpting and painting.
Rovos Rail PRETORIA TO DURBAN ITINERARY
- 10h00 The Pride of Africa departs Rovos Rail’s Station in Capital Park. Guests may freshen up in their suites before joining fellow travellers in the midway Lounge car or Observation carriage at the rear of the train.
- 13h00 Lunch is served as the train passes through Heidelberg (1 903ms).
- 18h15 The train departs Vooruitsig and climbs to 2 146ms as we traverse Majuba Hill.
- 19h30 Dinner is served in the dining car/s.
- 22h30 The train arrives at Elandslaagte for the overnight stop.
Overnight onboard the Rovos Rail train.
- 05h00 An early wake up call for a game drive in the Nambiti Private Game Reserve.
- 08h00 Tea, coffee, juices and pastries will be served in the dining car/s.
- 11h00 – 13h00 Brunch will be served in the dining car/s as we travel towards Estcourt.
14h00 Disembark for the 40min drive to Spionkop Lodge.
A choice of two excursions are available :
1. An escorted tour of the battlefields or
2. Game drive in the Spionkop Game Reserve.
The weather can be very warm, so please ensure you have hats & sun protection. As the evening progresses the weather can cool down considerably, so please also ensure that you take warm clothing.
- 18h30 Enjoy sundowners while overlooking the magnificent Spionkop dam.
- 22h00 A traditional South African dinner will be served at Spionkop Lodge.
Overnight onboard the Rovos Rail train.
- 07h00 Breakfast is served as the train departs Estcourt and descends the escarpment en route to Lions River station.
- 10h00 Disembark the train for a visit to the famous Ardmore ceramics gallery including an equestrian display and tea overlooking the river.
- 12h00 The train departs for Pietermaritzburg.
- 13h00 Lunch is served as the train traverses the spectacular Valley of a Thousand Hills.
- 16h00 Arrive in Durban.
- Excursions may be changed according to schedule achieved; times are approximate and cannot be guaranteed.
- The package rate for Rovos Rail includes accommodation, meals and excursions during the train journey, as well as alcoholic beverages whilst on board the train.