Scenic Helicopter Trips Cape Town Overview
Helicopter flips over the beautiful city of Cape Town and its surrounding areas including Point, Table Mountain, the West Coast and Winelands from the comfort of a helicopter.
12 MINUTE FLIGHT: City Bowl & Atlantic Beaches: This gentle taster of Cape Town from the air features the V&A Waterfront, the famous beaches of Clifton, Camps Bay, the towering Twelve Apostles and the City Bowl below Table Mountain. Duration: +/- 12minutes
18 MINUTE FLIGHT: Atlantico : Join us on this scenic flight along the Atlantic Coast passing Green Point, Sea Point, the white beaches of Clifton, Camps Bay and the exclusive neighbourhood of Llandudno, before swinging around Karbonkelberg (Hout Bay) and returning to the V&A Waterfront. Duration: +/- 18minutes
20 MINUTE FLIGHT: The Island: Embark on a scenic flight up the West Coast to Blaauwberg before turning for the world famous Robben Island. A flight around the Island will show you how it was used in the Apartheids era, then turning to Cape Town you will get one of the best views of the City overlooked by Table Mountain. Duration: +/- 20 minutes
25 MINUTE FLIGHT: Two Oceans: Departing from the Waterfront we route along the coastline passing Sea Point, Bantry Bay, Clifton, Camps Bay, Llandudno and Hout Bay. After Hout Bay you will get a great view of the famous Chapman’s’ Peak Drive, which we follow until reaching Noordhoek Beach. At Noordhoek we turn inland and route for False Bay and the town of Fish Hoek. From here we start routing back, passing Kalk Bay, Muizenberg, Tokai, the Constantia Winelands, Newlands Cricket & Rugby Stadiums, University of Cape Town, Grooteschuur Hospital and finally the Cape Town Docks where we start our descent for the Waterfront Helipads. Duration: +/- 25minutes
50 MINUTE FLIGHT: Full Peninsula: Departing from the V&A Waterfront, passing the beaches of Clifton and Camps Bay past the 12 Apostles, Llandudno to Hout Bay, Chapman’s Peak, Noordhoek, False Bay to Cape Point returning via Simons Town, Fish Hoek, Constantia, Claremont, Woodstock and landing at the Waterfront. Duration: +/- 50 minutes
Flight Options & Rates:
City Bowl & Atlantic Beaches - about 12 minutes
- 2019: R 2 550 (sharing) for 1 - 2 passengers / 2020: R 2 800 (sharing) for 1 - 2 passengers
- 2019: R 3 800 (private) for 1 - 3 passengers / 2020: R 4 200.00 (private) for 1 - 3 passengers
Atlantico - about 18 minutes
- 2019: R 3 400 (sharing) for 1 - 2 passengers / 2020: R 3 800 (sharing) for 1 - 2 passengers
- 2019: R 5 100 (private) for 1 - 3 passengers / 2020: R 5 600.00 (private) for 1 - 3 passengers
The Island - about 20 minutes
- 2019: R 4 080 (sharing) for 1 - 2 passengers / 2020: R 4 510 (sharing) for 1 - 2 passengers
- 2019: R 6 120 (private) for 1 - 3 passengers / 2020: R 6 760.00 (private) for 1 - 3 passengers
- 2019: R 5 100 (sharing) for 1 - 2 passengers / 2020: R 5 600 (sharing) for 1 - 2 passengers
- 2019: R 7 650 (private) for 1 - 3 passengers / 2020: R 8 450.00 (private) for 1 - 3 passengers
- 2019: R 10 200 (sharing) for 1 - 2 passengers / 2020: R 11 200 (sharing) for 1 - 2 passengers
- 2019: R 15 300 (private) for 1 - 3 passengers / 2020: R 16 900.00 (private) for 1 - 3 passengers
- The above prices are all VAT inclusive.
- All flight times quoted are maximum flight times and may vary by as much as 20%.
- Where a 1 or 2 person (sharing) rate is quoted passengers may have to share the helicopter with other clients.
- Rates quotes are per helicopter
- We reserve the right to add additional pax on shares flights
Frequently asked questions:
- May I make a video of our actual tour: Our flights aren't captured on Video. Therefore we allow the passengers to bring their camera's on the flight.
- What should we wear: Dress comfortable, the temperature in a helicopter is the same as outside. If you plan to take photographs, we recommend wearing darker colours to reduce any window reflections. Hats are not allowed to be worn around the helicopters as they can fly up into the rotors and damage the aircraft. We will be happy to hold any hats for you until you return from your tour. Huey: Bring warm Jersey. Camera. Sunglasses. No flip-flops or sandals, No caps/hats or scarves. Jetranger & Longranger: Camera. Sunglasses. No caps, hats or scarves.
- Do you recommend taking anti-motion sickness medication: If you are particularly prone to motion sickness, taking a precautionary anti-motion sickness medication is a good idea. However, our flights are very smooth, and turns are slow and gentle. Some of our tours are professional scenic tours, and some are designed to thrill ride. Most people do not experience motion sickness and do not need anti-motion sickness medication.
- When is the best time to fly: We suggest that you book your helicopter flight before arrival in Cape Town, South Africa. This assures you of a tour time that fits into your vacation plans. It’s also wise to book your tour for the early part of your stay. That way if your pilot determines that weather conditions on a particular day are not optimal for a tour, you will have some options for re-scheduling. As far as the best time of day for a helicopter tour, you should primarily consider your schedule. Most of the time we are blessed with beautiful weather in Cape Town and the time of day, whether it be morning or afternoon, will make no difference. If we happen to have a rainy weather pattern the pilot will consult weather reports and other pilots who have been flying to determine if we can operate an excellent tour. The Huey Helicopter Co & Sports Helicopters does not want to take our guests on a flight unless we are reasonably confident we can give you an excellent experience.
- How much experience do your pilots have: All pilots are highly experienced & fully certified. Our pilots and engineers are a group of dedicated aviators whose vast expertise largely contributes to the maintenance of our impeccable safety record.
- Yes. We are a charter company, We offer specialised tours to Game Farms, Wine estates etc. and provide flights to and from the airport
- What are your hours of operation: We open for business at 8:00 am each day and close at 5:00 pm, South African Time. Everyday with exception to Christmas day.
- Is there a weight restriction: If a passenger weighs more than 250lbs (114kgs), you will be charged for a seat and a half. There are weight restrictions, and therefore if you have any queries, it is best to inquire while making your booking.
- Will we be the only ones in the helicopter? How is seating arranged: The Huey is a shared flight with other guests (unless chartered privately) Seating is done by weight and balance. However, all seats are great as there are no doors. With Jetranger, Longranger flight, flights are private, however, we do reserve the right to share the flight.
- Are we guaranteed to see all of the sights mentioned in your tour descriptions: The points of interest mentioned in our tour descriptions are highlights of the tour, which we always do our best to show you depending on wind and weather. Each trip is unique in that we'll show you the best currently available scenery while also trying to accommodate all of your special requests within the allotted time.
- What type of Helicopters do we fly: Sports Helicopters operates Bell Jetrangers (4 passengers), a Bell Longranger (6 passengers) and a Bell Huey (9 passengers).
- Is there an age limit: All minors under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Jetrangers Longranger: All ages.
- Can I fly if I am pregnant: Yes.
- Are we alone in the helicopter: Seats are sold on an individual basis. Jetranger / Longranger: This will be a private flight.
- What happens if the weather is terrible: Clients will be advised regarding the weather. Should the flight not be able to take place at the scheduled time we would try to reschedule the trip or do a refund.
- What times and days do we fly: Sports Helicopters operates seven days a week from 08h00 till 17h00. All flights are on a booking basis. Booking is essential.
- Where is the departure location: We have situated in the V & A Waterfront.