Featherbed Nature Reserve Guided Walk Knysna Overview
After driving through the Featherbed Nature Reserve to the top of the Western Head, you can take the optional, 2.3 kilometres guided walk, passing through Milkwood forests onto the steep sandstone cliffs, into ancient Khoi Khoi sea caves and along a scenic coastal path fringed with aromatic fynbos.
Your guide will inform you of the ecology, fauna, flora, bird and marine life in the Featherbed Nature Reserve. On the coastal walk back, you can often spot the resident Black African Oyster Catcher, one of the rarest coastal birds in South Africa. The contrast of the bright red beak and claws against the black feathers is always a beautiful sight.
Featherbed Nature Reserve is home to a breeding program of the rare Blue Duiker - one of the smallest antelope species in the world - the beautiful Knysna Loerie and the endangered Knysna Sea Horse. Visitors have the unique opportunity to view these creatures on the Reserve.
Description of excursion:
- a ferry trip on Knysna lagoon
- 4x4 vehicle transfer to the reserve
- stop at magnificent viewpoints along the way
- specialist guide giving information on history, flora and fauna
- optional 2.2 km walk through the Featherbed Nature Reserve through coastal forest and fynbos
- return ferry
Duration of Featherbed Tour:
- 4 hours