Nestled in the scenic and lush Tulbagh valley of South Africa's beautiful Cape Winelands, the beautiful five-star Rijks Country House opened in October 2008 following extensive renovations. The house offers travellers and day visitors a wonderful getaway experience while enjoying the personal service and the convenient facilities of this graceful and elegant country retreat.
The hotel lies on a Wine Farm, which is home to Rijks Private Cellar; a mere five minutes away from the centre of Tulbagh, Western Cape. Old trees and an abundance of beautiful Iceberg roses welcome guests to the estate from where spectacular views of the vineyard hills set against the mountains can be enjoyed.
- 18-hour room service
- Laundry and ironing service
- Airport shuttle service and transport to visit nearby wine farms and cellars
- Full-service business desk with the internet, fax and printing
- Wireless Internet
- Gift and wine shop
- Lounge and library
- Outdoor terrace
- Swimming pool
- Private and public wine tastings
- Picnics upon prior arrangement
- 32-seater fine dining restaurant: Que Sera
- 20-seater private dining room: Mon Ami
- Polo Wine Bar
- Conferencing facilities
- Babysitting services
- Night-harvesting of the vineyard grapes in the summer months
- Wine tasting at Rijks Private Cellar
- Hiking and walking trails
- Bird watching
Nearby Attractions and Activities:
- Tour and tasting of Krone Borealis at Twee Jonge Gezellen
- Wine tasting and art gallery at Saronsberg
- Arts, crafts and curio shops
- Art galleries
- Oude Drostdy Museum
- Oude Kerk Volksmuseum
- Golf at the Ceres country club (20-minute drive)
- Polo matches
- Hiking and walking trails
- Photographic tours
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
- Health and fitness centre
- Dried fruit tours
- Beauty salon and aromatherapy
- Plant Nurseries
- Farmers' market
- Belgian chocolate factory specialises in chocolate and wine pairing
- Award-winning cheese shop selling handcrafted farmhouse cheese
Nearby Wine Estates
This Estate is surrounded by well-known wine estates which are worth a visit and where wine tastings are offered. These include Manley Private Cellars, De Oude Drostdy Manor, De Heuvel, Blue Crane Vineyards, Saronsberg Cellars, Schalkenbosch Wine Estate, Tulbagh Winery, Theuniskraal Wine Estate, Waverley Hills, Twee Jonge Gezellen, and Buck’s Ridge Wine and Olives.
The exclusive country house serves delicious and fresh cuisine combined with an excellent and detailed wine list.
- Que Sera: 32-seater fine dining restaurant offering an a la carte menu and buffet breakfast
- Mon Ami: 20-seater private dining room with high tables and chairs, a cosy fireplace and doors leading out onto the vineyards
- Iceberg Terrace for al fresco dining outdoors
- Polo Wine Bar & tasting room
Rijks Country House Specials
There are currently no specials for the Rijks Country House.
Please check again soon.
Your review has been submitted
Thank you for submitting your review. Our team will check your review and be in touch should we have any questions.