Rovos Rail Durban to Pretoria Journey Overview
Join this three-day Rovos Rail train safari in South Africa on the most luxurious train in the world and experience the splendour of the KwaZulu-Natal province.
Visitors encounter the untamed African wildlife on an adventurous safari through the bush, view the historic battlefields with a world-class historian and get familiar with unusual African ceramics.
Experience the diversity of the magnificent Nambiti Conservancy, a Big Five private bush retreat set on 20 000 acres of malaria-free bushveld in KwaZulu-Natal. It has an incredible biodiversity including savannah, grasslands, thornveld and tall acacia trees.
The Sundays River flows through the Nambiti Game Reserve and has two 40 metre waterfalls with magnificent ravine bush, home to several rare bird species.
Situated on an expansive game farm, Spionkop Lodge, which adjoins a 12 000 acre nature reserve, is the perfect base for exploring the berg, bush, birds and battlefields of the region. The turn of the century farmhouse has been beautifully restored in Natal colonial style, and the converted barn now forms a magnificent dining room that boasts spectacular views.
Ardmore Ceramic Art is a story about the Zulu people whose sense of rhythm, colour, dance and song, as well as the spirit of the African imagination, is exerting its influence on the other continents of the world. Word of Ardmore has spread far and wide, and those who believe they have the talent arrive at the Ardmore Studios in the rolling hills of Caversham in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands.
Many have little knowledge of sculpture and painting and mostly no experience of ceramic art. They learn quickly however and within a short time develop their particular style of sculpting and painting.
Rovos Rail DURBAN TO PRETORIA ITINERARY
- 10h00 The train departs from Durban station. Guests may freshen up in their suites before joining fellow travellers in the midway lounge car or observation carriage at the rear of the train.
- 13h00 Lunch is served as the train traverses the rolling hills of KwaZulu-Natal en route to Lions River Station.
- 15h00 Disembark train for a visit to the famous Ardmore Ceramics Gallery, including an equestrian display & tea next to the river.
- 19h30 Dinner is served in the dining car/s.
- 23h00 Arrive in Ladysmith for the overnight stop.
- 05h00 An early wake-up call for a choice of two excursions:
- Option A safari drive in the Spionkop Nature Reserve.
- Option An escorted tour of the Battlefields.
- 11h00 – 13h00 Brunch will be served in the dining car/s as we travel to Elandslaagte. Disembark at Elandslaagte for a safari drive in the Nambiti Private Game Reserve.
- 15h00 Tea, coffee, juices, fruit and pastries will be served in the dining car/s.
- 19h30 Dinner is served as the train departs for the overnight journey to Vooruitsig.
- 07h00 – 10h00 Breakfast is served as we depart Vooruitsig.
- 13h00 Lunch is served as the train heads towards journeys end.
- 16h00 Arrive at Rovos Rail’s Capital Park Station, Pretoria.
- Excursions may be changed according to schedule achieved; times are approximate and cannot be guaranteed.
- The Rovos Rail train package includes accommodation, meals and tours during the train journey, as well as alcoholic beverages while onboard the train.