Rovos Rail Cape Town to Dar Es Salaam (Tanzania) Journey Overview
Annual Rovos Rail Train Journeys
Cape Town to Dar Es Salaam (Tanzania)
Dar Es Salaam (Tanzania) to Cape Town
Rovos Rail invites you to travel on the most luxurious train in the world. This epic 14-day journey travels through South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Tanzania and has become one of the most famous train journeys in the world. This is the ultimate African safari, designed for travellers who wish to re-live true adventure and romance in complete luxury, comfort and security.
This epic 14-day Rovos Rail train journey travels through South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Tanzania and is one of the most famous train journeys in the world. This magnificent sojourn will take you through South Africa with short tours of the diamond town of Kimberley and the capital city of Pretoria, then a two night stay at a private lodge in the Madikwe Game Reserve.
The train then crosses through Botswana into Zimbabwe where we overnight at the Victoria Falls Hotel. After crossing the mighty Zambezi River, travel northeast through Zambia, joining the Tazara Railway line at Kapiri Mposhe. Enjoy a bush walk at Chisimba Falls then continue the climb towards the Zambian/Tanzanian border, almost the midpoint between Africa's two Great Rift Valley lakes.
Descend into the Rift Valley itself and witness spectacular scenery as the train negotiates the tunnels, switchbacks and viaducts of the escarpment. Early on the last day, the train passes through the Selous Game Reserve - the largest on the African continent and a vision of timeless Africa - shortly before the bustling arrival in Dar es Salaam.
Itinerary Cape To Dar Es Salaam / Tanzania:
- Depart Cape Town on the Rovos Rail Edwardian Train Safari.
- Arrive in Matjiesfontein at 18h00 with time to explore this Victorian
- village before dinner and overnight on the Rovos train.
- Lunch with a 14h00 arrival in Kimberley.
- Visit to the Big Hole and Diamond Museum in Kimberley.
- Depart Kimberley at 16h00.
- Dinner and overnight on the Rovos train.
- Arrive in Pretoria (Gauteng).
- Light Lunch followed by a city tour of Pretoria.
- Depart at 18h00 from Pretoria Station.
- Arrive in Zeerust for full board two-night stay at 5-star Tau Game Lodge (Madikwe Game Reserve).
- Early morning game drive, evening game drive or guest activities.
- Overnight at the Tau Game Lodge.
- Early morning game drive. Transfer to the Rovos train for a 12h00 departure from Gaborone, Botswana. Border formalities en route.
- After border formalities travel through Zimbabwe with morning & afternoon lectures provided by the historian.
- Arrive at the Victoria Falls. Transfer from Station to the Victoria Falls Hotel.
- 16h00 sunset cruise on the Zambezi River.
- Dinner and overnight at the Victoria Falls Hotel.
- Day at leisure - tour of the Falls, game of golf, Flight of the Angels, etc.
- Transfer to the station for a 15h00 departure from the Victoria Falls for Zimbabwe and Zambian border formalities.
- Pass through Lusaka. Breakfast, lunch and dinner on board with lectures in the morning and afternoon.
- Day at leisure.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner on board with lectures in the morning and afternoon.
- Disembark at Kasama for an excursion to Chisimba Falls.
- 16h15 Arrive at Nakonde/Tunduma for Zambian/Tanzanian border formalities.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner on board.
- Arrive in Makambako. Descend spectacular pass to Mlimba.
- Arrive in Kiduna and continue the journey through Mzenga to Dar es Salaam.
- Breakfast on board.
- Arrive at Tazara Station, Dar Es Salaam.