Quick Facts: Pretoria City Center
- At the heart of Pretoria is a museum-studded hub that radiates outwards from Church Square
- Other notable museums, galleries and monuments span out from the square in all directions
- Correctional Services Museum
- Freedom Park
- Geoscience Museum
- Kruger Museum
- Melrose House
- National Museum of Cultural History (African Window)
- National Museum of Natural History (Transvaal Museum)
- National Zoological Gardens
- State Theatre
- Unisa Art Gallery
- Voortrekker Monument and Museum
- Wonderboom Nature reserve
Distance to Airport: 58 km
Distance to City: 6 km
Introducing Pretoria City Center
At the heart of Pretoria is a museum-studded hub that radiates outwards from Church Square. This was originally the central market place and way station for farmers coming to "nagmaal" (Holy Communion) in town. A statue of former president Paul Kruger takes centre stage here, but the square is also fringed with impressive landmarks, from the Palace of Justice to the old Raadsaal.
Other notable museums, galleries and monuments span out from the square in all directions. Explore north for the National Zoological Gardens, east for the State Theatre, south for Burgers Park, Melrose House, Freedom Park and the Voortrekker Monument or west for Paul Kruger House and the National Museum of Cultural History.
Both the R21 (from O.R. Tambo International Airport) and the N14 can be followed directly into Pretoria Central.