Quick Facts: Morningside
- Located north of Sandton City and bisected by busy Rivonia Road, is the treed suburb of Morningside
- Morningside in Johannesburg has become an affluent residential area
- Most residents here chose to work in Sandton's business district and prefer rather to live on its outskirts in a peaceful suburban environment
- Old post-war homes and modern townhouse complexes
- Small shopping centres
- Morningside also has a hidden natural gem: the 'green lung' of Outspan Bird Sanctuary
- Village Walk Shopping Centre
Morningside Shopping Centre
Distance to Airport: 36 km
Distance to City: 19 km
Just north of the high rise collective of Sandton City and bisected by busy Rivonia Road, is the treed suburb of Morningside. Morningside has become an affluent residential area due to the influx of individuals who, whilst choosing to work in Sandton's business district, prefer rather to live on its outskirts in a peaceful suburban environment.
Amongst the old post-war homes and modern townhouse complexes there are several small shopping centres that offer a more intimate experience than vast Sandton City. Morningside also has a hidden natural gem - the 'green lung' of Outspan Bird Sanctuary stretching along the Outspan Spruit.
Best Kept Secret
Driefontein Farmhouse (Wilhelmi House)
Built in 1906 by intrepid German couple Adolf and Elsa Wilhelmi who settled in Johannesburg in 1891. The farmhouse is a good example of rural Johannesburg lifestyle. Today it is hard to imagine Driefontein Farm stretching out in all directions from this historic homestead. Corner 15th Street and Coleraine Avenue, Parkmore. Erf 666 Riverclub.
To reach Morningside from the airport, follow the R24 to Johannesburg. At Gillooly's Interchange, take the N3 northbound to Pretoria. At the Sandton Buccleuch Interchange follow the M1 south to the M60 Marlboro exit.