WORDLESS WEDNESDAYS: The World’s Top 11 Unique Hotels
The World’s Top 11 Unique Hotels
From a hotel made entirely of salt in Bolivia to a former prison building turned luxury abode in Oxford, UK, these unique hotels around the world definatelly make for an interesting and unforgettable stay. The list below has been selected by TripAdvisor editiors in search for the wackiest holiday places.
1. Seaventures Dive Resort located off Mabul Island in Malaysia
The former exploration jack-up rig has been refashioned into a PADI 5-Star IDC Dive Resort.
2. EcoCamp Patagonia – Torres del Paine, Chile
The EcoCamp’s unique hotel rooms are Geodesic domes which feature the pattern of the ancient Kaweskar tribe’s huts in Patagonia.
3. Hotel Marques de Riscal – Elciego, Spain
A fine work of art with its inclined walls, zigzag windows, and cathedral-height ceilings.
4. Kokopelli Cave Bed and Breakfast – Farmington, New Mexico, United States
A 1,650 square foot, one-bedroom cave home carved from a 65-million year old sandstone formation awaits here.
5. Malmaison Oxford Castle – Oxford, England
Once home to inmates serving out sentences for crimes, Oxford Castle features now palatial guest rooms fit for a king.
6. Icehotel – Jukkasjarvi, Sweden
The Icehotel in Sweden is the first and largest hotel built of ice and snow.
7. Brussels Welcome Hotel – Brussels, Belgium
Every room at this amazing hotel offers a different world travel experience with extraordinary and quirky ornaments to emulate each country’s individual personality.
8. Jumbo Stay – Stockholm, Sweden
On a disused runway at Stockholm airport lies one of the world’s most unusual hotels – the Jumbo Stay, a former 747 jet which serviced Pan Am, Singapore Airlines.
9. Hotel Palacio de Sal – Uyuni, Bolivia
From the walls, floors, ceiling, to most of the furniture – such as the chairs, tables and beds – this extraordinary hotel is constructed entirely in salt.
10. Green Plaza Shinjuku Capsule Hotel – Tokyo, Japan
This unconventional tube hotel provides visitors a restful night’s stay in a capsule equipped with comfortable amenities.
11. The Palace of the Lost City Hotel at the Sun City Resort – North West Province, South Africa
Located in the magnificent bushveld of the Pilanesberg National Park, the magnificent Palace of the Lost City Hotel at the Sun City Resort is a unique masterpiece of castle-style architecture.
South African Tourism Company
Tel: +27 (0)21 794 9050
Mobile: +27 (0)827 823 142
Fax: +27 (0)21 794 9995