FRIDAY FOOD FEATURE: Coconut Panna Cotta and Tropical Fruit Salad
FRIDAY FOOD FEATURE:
Coconut Panna Cotta, Passion Fruit Jelly, Tropical Fruit Salad & White Rum Granita
The five star Cape Grace Hotel at the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront Hotel in Cape Town, South Africa, has been famous for its delicious cuisine for many years. Lorraine from this luxury hotel in Cape Town would like to tempts you with a delightful summer dessert, namely Coconut Pannacotta, Passion Fruit Jelly, Tropical Fruit Salad and White Rum Granita.
Lorraine was one of the guest chefs in the first MasterChef SA competition in an epic Pressure test where they had to recreate her a complex chocolate mousse cake with a biscuit base, meringue layer and a passion fruit panna cotta, all covered in a shiny chocolate glaze. However, this recipe is a lot easier!
COCONUT PANNA COTTA, PASSION FRUIT JELLY, TROPICAL FRUIT SALAD &
WHITE RUM GRANITA
White Rum Granita (make this the night before and leave in the fridge):
1. 500ml water
2. 100ml sugar
3. 100ml white rum
– Boil the ingredients together and pour into a shallow tray, cool.
– Place in the freezer. When it has frozen use a fork to scrape ice shards.
Passion Fruit Jelly (make this the night before to make things easier):
1. 125g fresh passion fruit juice with seeds
2. 62g sugar
3. 5g gelatin, hydrated
– Boil the juice and sugar together, add the hydrated gelatin. Pour into the base of a glass or clip Jar.
– Allow to set for 1 hour in the fridge.
Coconut Panna Cotta:
1. 250ml cream
2. 250ml coconut milk
3. 2,5 leaves gelatine, hydrated
4. 40g muscovado sugar
5. 1 vanilla bean
– Heat the cream and coconut milk with the sugar and the vanilla pod.
– Add the gelatine leaf.
– Pour the panna cotta on top of the set passion fruit jelly into the glass or clip Jar to set.
Tropical Fruit Salad:
Use the following fruits to make a fruit salad
1. ¼ pineapple, small blocks
2. ¼ papaya, small blocks
3. 4 litchi, quartered
4. 1 mango, small blocks
Once the panna cotta is set place a portion of fruits loosely on top then when you are ready to serve spoon a generous heap of white rum granite and garnish with some fresh mint leaves.
South African Tourism Company
Tel: +27 (0)21 794 9050
Mobile: +27 (0)827 823 142
Fax: +27 (0)21 794 9995