FRIDAY FOOD FEATURE: Pineapple and Coconut Cupcakes
FRIDAY FOOD FEATURE:
Pineapple and Coconut Cupcakes
“Pineapple and coconut cupcakes… I remember at high school cooking a pineapple and cherry upside down cake. Wowie, it was yummy! Also, in my first few years at Hartford House we made a coconut cake served with a pineapple sorbet of sorts – a take on a pina colada. This combination is a classic and an innovative wedding cupcake idea.” stated Jackie Cameron, who is the Head Chef at the five star and award winning Hartford House Boutique Hotel in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
Makes 10 small Cupcakes
• 40gr Butter
• 30ml White Sugar
• 1 (275gr) Pine Apple, peeled, ¼, slices
• 50ml Treacle Sugar
• 200gr Butter
• 200gr Castor Sugar
• 3 Eggs
• 5ml Lemon Juice
• 5ml Vanilla Essence
• 200gr Cake Flour
• 10ml Baking Powder
• 60gr Desiccated Coconut
1. Heat the butter and sugar in a large frying pan, then add the pineapple slices and fry on both sides; set to the side to cool down.
2. Line and grease 10 small cups; sprinkle 5ml Treacle Sugar in each.
3. On top of the sugar, place the pineapple slices, to cover the base, then set aside.
4. Beat the butter and castor sugar until fluffy and light.
5. One by one, add the eggs to the mixture.
6. Then add the lemon juice and vanilla extract.
7. Fold in the flour, the baking powder and the desiccated coconut.
8. Fill each cup with 75gr mixture.
9. Bake in the pre-heated oven of 180°C for about 20 minutes until baked through.
• 170gr White Sugar
• 4 Egg Whites
• 25ml Cold Water
• 5ml Lemon Juice
• 5ml Vanilla Extract
1. Combine all the ingredients in a metal bowl from a kitchen mixer.
2. Over a double boiler whisk this mixture for about 5 minutes, in order for the sugar to dissolve.
3. Then start whisking in the machine for about 10minutes, until the mixture is stiff peak.
4. Ice the cooled cupcakes with the meringue icing and garnish with dried out pineapple slices and desiccated coconut.
To book your extraordinary country retreat getaway, contact us for specials and packages!
South African Tourism Company
Tel: +27 (0)21 794 9050
Mobile: +27 (0)827 823 142
Fax: +27 (0)21 794 9995