FRIDAY FOOD FEATURE:Viennese Biscuits with Chocolate
FRIDAY FOOD FEATURE:
Sables Viennois – Viennese Biscuits with Chocolate
Light in texture and buttery in flavour, these egg-free biscuits will practically melt in your mouth, while the smooth, velvety chocolate adds a silky richness to this classic Austrian confection. Make them for a special occasion or tea time spread. The recipe was provided by Chef de partie at NH The Lord Charles Hotel in Somerset West / Cape Town, Sharon Musasa.
• 100 g unsalted butter, softened
• 25 g icing sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 100 g plain flour
• 1 tsp corn flour
• ¼ tsp baking powder
• 100 g milk chocolate, chopped
• A baking tray lined with baking paper
and a piping bag fitted with a medium star nozzle
1. Pre-heat oven to 170oC.
2. Tip the butter and sugar into the bowl of a freestanding mixer and beat until pale and light. Add the vanilla extract and mix again. Sift the flour, corn flour and baking powder into the bowl and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
3. Spoon the dough into the piping bag and pipe 10 cm-long fingers onto the prepared baking tray. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 10–15 minutes until pale golden.
4. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes, then transfer the biscuits to a wire rack until completely cooled.
5. Tip the milk chocolate into a heatproof bowl and melt either in the microwave on a low setting or over a pan of barely simmering water. Remove from the heat and stir until smooth.
6. Dip both ends of the biscuits into the chocolate and leave to set on baking parchment.
Enjoy the most delightful Viennese biscuits!
South African Tourism Company
Tel: +27 (0)21 794 9050
Mobile: +27 (0)827 823 142
Fax: +27 (0)21 794 9995