FRIDAY FOOD FEATURE: Cape Malay Chicken Curry
FRIDAY FOOD FEATURE:
Cape Malay Chicken Curry
The exclusive Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve and Wellness Retreat which is located in the Western Cape of South Africa blends the ultimate luxury with comfort and star rated cuisine making for an unforgettable getaway destination. It is here where guests enjoy exclusive accommodation in a most beautiful and breath taking setting. We would like to present one of the retreat’s mouth watering dishes being the popular Cape Malay Chicken Curry. This luxury country estate has been voted “Best Hotel for Food in Africa, The Middle East and Indian Ocean” by Conde Nast Traveller Gold List in 2012.
Cape Malay Chicken Curry (serves 8 guests)
Ingredients for the Curry:
- 8 chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 large onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 cm ginger crushed
5 tablespoons Marsala spice/curry spice
2 cans coconut milk
Ingredients for the fragrant Yellow Basmati Rice:
- 500g basmati rice
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise pods
1 litre water
• Sauté ginger and garlic over low heat until cooked through
• Turn heat up high and add Marsala spices. Cook for 1min stirring continuously
• Add coconut milk and give a good stir, allow the sauce to reduce by a third
• In a separate pan, heat a dash of oil. When very hot, fry sliced chicken breast until brown
• Add sauce to chicken and cook for 5min
• Before serving, add a squeeze of lemon juice, pinch of salt and fresh coriander
To cook the rice add all ingredients to a pot, bring to the boil and cook for 8 min or until rice is cooked. Strain.
Serve with homemade chutney.
Spoil your family, friends and guests with this delicious Chicken Curry a la Bushmans Kloof!
South African Tourism Company
Tel: +27 (0)21 794 9050
Mobile: +27 (0)827 823 142
Fax: +27 (0)21 794 9995