Bill Harrop Magalies River Valley Scenic Balloon Safari Overview
Bill Harrop's Magalies River Valley Scenic Hot Air Balloon Safari
Bill Harrop's Original Balloon Safaris
Something different - Something special
The silence of flight is punctuated only by the occasional blast of the powerful burners and the faint call of a bird or animal far beneath at sunrise when the hot air balloon lifts off the ground. The thrill of a hot air balloon ride is indescribable.
You’re sipping fine champagne while hovering gently above the tree tops of the beautiful Magalies River Valley, or drifting majestically high above the Magaliesberg range, just 45 km north of Johannesburg’s northern suburbs, a region boasting some of the best ballooning weather in the world. The exceptional peace of this unique and almost supernatural view of the world will forever remain as a truly cherished memory. After landing, savour a delectable and generous champagne breakfast at the new, traditionally exquisite and beautifully appointed Clubhouse, Pavilion and Restaurant, where you’ll be filled with the warmest of memories.
Activity information: Balloon Safaris and Balloon Rides with Bill Harrop
Balloons go up every morning including weekends, weather permitting.
Flight Departure Point:
Bill Harrop’s Balloon Safaris Skeerpoort Country Base on the border of Gauteng and North West Province, near Hartebeesport Dam, 45 kilometres north-west of Johannesburg’s Northern suburbs.
Minibus Transfers from various hotels can be arranged at extra cost.
Hot Air Balloon Ride Itinerary:
- Just before sunrise dependant on time of the year. Note that hotel transfers depart earlier to allow for travelling time.
- Hot Coffee Tea and Biscuits are served as guests check in at our newly built, well appointed Clubhouse Pavilion at sunrise. Flight Numbers are assigned, and tickets are validated.
- Professional Crew Prepare the Balloons for Flight
- Guests watch from the Pavilion and are called to board when the balloons are ready. The Captains give a safety briefing before take off.
- Flight duration: about one hour (dependant on conditions)
- South African champagne served in-flight or on landing while the crew pack up the balloon
- Minibus Transfer back to our Country Base for Champagne Breakfast at the Harrop’s new Clubhouse Pavilion Restaurant freshly cooked and beautifully presented
- “Citations For Bravery” Presented with due ceremony
- Depart for your next destination with a basket full of really special memories
DAILY SCHEDULE: Meeting Times at Bill Harrop’s Balloon Safaris Skeerpoort Country Base
- 1 Nov. to 31 Jan.05h00am
- 1 – 29 Feb. and 16 – 31 Oct.05h15am
- 1 – 15 Mar. and 1 – 15 Oct.05h30am
- 16 – 31 Mar. and 16 – 30 Sep.05h45
- 1 – 30 Apr. and 1 – 15 Sep.06h00am
- 1 – 31 May. to 1 – 31 Aug.06h15am
- 1 Jun.- 31 Jul.06h30am
- MINIMUM NUMBERS: 2 passengers (can be two different individual bookings)
- MAXIMUM NUMBERS: 146+ (2 to 18 passengers to each balloon).
The flight will last about one hour and the total duration of the tour from check-in to departure for you next destination is about 3 to 5 hours (depending whether one wants to hurry or relax after the fight) plus transport time.
N.B. Return Mini-Bus Transfers can be arranged between one’s pre-flight Accommodation and the Flight Departure Point when booking at a nominal extra cost.
Allow extra time for Mini-Bus Transfers from Hotels in:
4 Ways: 45 mins
Sandton: 1 hour
Johannesburg or Sun City: 1 hour 15 mins
Actual pickup times may vary slightly and will be confirmed when booking
N.B. All operations and flights are conducted by the General Terms and Conditions
When making your booking, we will need to know:
1. FULL NAME (and weight) of each passenger
2. The PASSENGER’S TELEPHONE NUMBER or HOTEL + ROOM No.
(in the event of us cancelling due to inclement weather or safety reasons)
3. If a GROUP BOOKING, the GROUP LEADER’s NAME, and Flight Allocation List
What to wear:
Clothing: Should be warm enough for the chilly early morning but it should be “peelable” because the sun, excitement and probably the champagne will soon warm you. “Country” shoes (no high heels or open sandals) are recommended, and if you are tall or a little thin on top (like Bill Harrop wear a hat).
What to bring:
Don’t forget your camera and a data card with plenty of space or new film (does anyone still use film these days?) and batteries fully charged, as ballooning offers some most spectacular photo and video opportunities.
Ballooning is suitable for adventurers from 7 – 70 (although our oldest passenger to date was 92 years old). Participants should be nimble, be able to jump unassisted from a height of 60cm and stand for the duration of the flight – (approx. one hour).